Sunday, December 23, 2007

Our First Home

December 22, 2007

Gina and I were very fortunate to be able to purchase our first home only 6 months after we were married. That was a benchmark moment in our life - we were so proud of that little white house. It was the fall of the year and I can still remember waking up on Saturday mornings and reading the paper - my own paper that had been delivered to my own front door earlier that morning. I can remember sitting on the front porch on Friday nights and hearing the high school football game across town. It was wonderful. We were adults. We had our own place. It was a two bedroom, one bath job with a small kitchen. It sat on about a quarter acre with enough backyard to have a small garden and teach Austin how to play baseball. It had an enormous water oak tree which provided shade 6 months out of the year. It dumped those tiny leaves and acorns each Fall and I loved it because I had leaves to rake in my yard. We lived there for six years. Once KB was on the way, we knew we would need to upgrade.

As G grew with child it seemed that the place became smaller. With only one bathroom we had to plan well our potty and shower times. I recall a battle with the ole' stomach bug that nearly ended in disaster. The three (and a half) of us outgrew that space. It was cozy and we look back on that time in our lives with fond memories - but I've got to tell you, we were glad to get out of there. It was just such a small space. It was a great place to start out - probably would still be a great place for a couple - old or young.

So tonight we find ourselves on the absolute other side of the world. A place I couldn't even find on a map three years ago! (and I still can't spell the name of the city) Four weeks ago we began our time here as a family of three. Ten days later we were a family of four - one (or maybe three depending on your point of view) with a slight linguistic impediment. Three weeks into it and we are now five. Our current home is smaller than our first. We are living in a four room (and that includes the kitchen and bathroom) apartment. Thankfully, we have all been able to live around one another peacefully (for the majority of the time). But let me tell you, we are all up in each other's personal space.

Time alone here must be scraped together either late in the evening or early in the morning or maybe during a walk to the market or while taking out the trash. I (C) am one who treasures a healthy amount of alone time - not that I am a recluse, just that I need time to reflect on my thoughts on my actions on the course of my day or week or life. I need time to read and pray and study. It is hard to find these days.

Now this is not a rant. Please don't take it that way. It's just really humorous to me. If you think about it, this is the ideal situation for bonding. Remember what they say about camping? No? Well, Gary Smalley says that all families should camp together. No, not for the fun of it. But because camping inevitably leads to "bonding." Well, our bonding will not be complete when we return home, but we are off to a good start.

A month before we left for this place I created a countdown clock on my computer. I just couldn't believe that we actually had an appointment and would be traveling. Just couldn't imagine what it would be like. KB has also created a countdown calendar for Christmas Day. She's just like a kid at Christmas... hmm.... I suppose she should be. So you will have to forgive me for creating another countdown clock on my computer for our departure date. Can't imagine what it will be like to be home.

We've really enjoyed our time here. WE OWN THIS TOWN! (or at least the two or three blocks near our apartment) We had crab sticks today. We cooked home made chicken soup tonight. We know what milk not to buy. We know who has the best pizza in town. We know where to get the good TP. We are recognized now at the market and the video store and the exchange counter and the Irish Pub (that I use for wifi). Those folks are willing to overlook our cultural ineptitude in exchange for our money. We have become their entertainment - in the ant farm sense. What will those goofy Americans want today? What word will they not know?

Already, I'm beginning to miss the kids at the orphanage. I'm beginning to miss this place. I went out tonight just to take it all in. Side note: I saw a poster in the mall advertising Albert's organization which ministers to orphanages in this area. I was intrigued by this. He is really doing a good work here. If I can remember the web address, I'll post a link to his site. - End side note. The place where we are really is beautiful at night. Although I know that many of the kids I know here will most likely never be able to live on this side of town. They'll likely just ride through and wonder. I wonder myself what it would be like to live here. I suppose in some ways it would be a lot like our first home....

Blessings to you guys and your families this Christmas Holiday. We will celebrate the birth of Christ with you - but we'll beat you to the punch by about eight hours.

The Grace's (from small spaces)

4 Comments:

At Sunday, December 23, 2007 4:13:00 PM , Blogger brennan said...

Hi yall, we have welcomed home the Hartsocks and Kemps...waiting for you all to come home now. Have you had any luck getting in touch with Nina or someone to go and make that special visit we are eager for...Please email us if you can to let us know the update. We miss you all. Love amy

 
At Sunday, December 23, 2007 8:34:00 PM , Blogger Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

Sweet Friends,
Merry Christmas to you all! Your post made me think about our 625 sq foot appartment (in a "triplex" :) ) at Seminary... Good for togetherness, not so good for what you note as personal space :) and that was with just two of us living there most of the time. I have to giggle and get excited then hold my breath and roll my eyes a little at the idea of our soon to be growing bunch. & I am a wee bit of a recluse which I realize (LOL hence my hiding place in a certain laundry room in Bham)I can kiss those days goodbye! & I am ok with that :)
So awesome that you are getting to soak in the whole experience of living there. Really being a part of the community... from Market to Pub. ~ & I on a side note I think this is what you are looking for:

http://deti.zp.ua/eng/index.php

Can't wait to hear more. :) Praying for your Christmas to prove lovely and productive since it has the potential to be :)

In Him,
The Smiths ~ Here and There ;)

 
At Monday, December 24, 2007 11:27:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I am sitting here in the dark typing at 11pm, awaiting "christmas" and feeling a little sad...things just aren't the same without you here! Sharing this whole adventure with you guys has really put things in perspective for me...I miss the family gatherings, the traditions, I laugh watching HR sitting on the boxes rather than opening them, but yet my heart aches because something is missing. I can't wait to see ALL of you return home. You won't believe how much HR has grown. Thanks for the wonderful pictures! All I can say is I'm glad I'm in the South cause this gal couldn't brave the cold like you guys! So just keep warm and know we are thinking of you all. Hope this Christmas will go down in the "never forget" catagory. This year will be the Christmas I remember as celebrating the birth of Jesus and the special birth of Dasha into our family...what a wonderful gift! Enjoy, take care, hope to see you all soon! With great love- the Hands

 
At Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:13:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grace Family...MERRY CHRISTMAS! You are first on our thoughts as we return home from the 11pm service. I know it is shortly after 8AM your time, but it only recently struck midnight here! We love you guys and wanted to be one of the first to wish you a Merry Christmas!

The Brennan's

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home